Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sorrow

One of the privileges and burdens of life in church music comes when death visits a church family. I've spent a lot of time lately dealing with the dark planning necessary when someone faces the end of a battle with disease.

For me it's easier to work than contemplate. So I am glad to have the job of planning services of remembrance, especially when the person who faces death is a friend.

As I've been thinking through a couple of these services, I've been struck with how bereft our hymnal is of any material that can help us grieve. I think it's a lot to ask the family who has observed the pain and distress of disease to instantly shift into a mode of joyful singing. They need to be able to express themselves at whatever stage of grief they find themselves.

So yesterday I wrote a hymn text. It matches the tune RESTORATION, which most of us know when matched with the words "I Will Arise and Go to Jesus." My new text seeks to voice the honest feelings of mourning while drawing strength from the suffering Christ. Its refrain serves as a reminder of the paradox in Paul's Philippian letter, "For me, living is Christ, and dying is gain." Please sing it to yourself, and let me know what you think of it.

(refrain) In our sorrow, grief and mourning,
Lord be present, share our pain.
Teach us your confounding lesson,
"Life is Christ and death is gain."

1. Journeying thru' death's cold shadow
we are shocked and mystified.
You have walked this path before us,
Lord, in mercy be our guide.

Refrain

2. Anger speaks in ev'ry sentence,
and our sadness overflows.
Help us to recall your suff'ring
as we voice our urgent woe.

Refrain

3. Teach us, Lord, through your example
death and pain will be destroyed.
Though we walk through nights of darkness,
morning waits with promised joy.

Refrain.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering if there was a better word for confounding, but I think confounding is a better word for every synonym I can find. I think it's a beautiful text, and brings the joy of hope by the end. Matches the hymntune quite appropriately as well.

    ReplyDelete